General Question

Find everything about hiring a domestic helper in our guide. Questions? Contact Us for more help!

The Employers’ Orientation Programme (EOP) is a compulsory 3-hour session for new employers of domestic helpers, designed to familiarize them with their roles and responsibilities. It must be completed at least two working days before the submission of a Work Permit application and is available both online and in a classroom setting.

As a first-time employer of a domestic helper, you must attend the Employers’ Orientation Programme (EOP) and be at least 21 years old. You cannot be an undischarged bankrupt and must understand your responsibilities as an employer. Additionally, you need to have the financial capability to provide for the helper’s maintenance and suitable accommodation.

Employer income is crucial for the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) when assessing Work Permit applications for domestic helpers. Married couples are allowed to combine their incomes for this purpose. For those who do not meet the criteria through individual income, MOM offers alternatives like the Joint Income or Sponsorship Scheme to qualify for hiring domestic helpers.

The Joint Income Scheme allows you to combine your income with a non-spouse family member living with you in Singapore, but only one additional income is permitted. Eligibility requires being a Singapore citizen or permanent resident, at least 21 years old, and not an undischarged bankrupt. This scheme is designed for family members like siblings, parents, children, or other relatives, provided your salary is higher than the family member whose income you’re combining with.

The Sponsorship Scheme is designed for Singapore citizens or permanent residents who are 60 years or older, without an income, and do not live with any working adults. Under this scheme, sponsors can be the individual’s children, their spouses, grandchildren, their spouses, or siblings. This allows those without a personal income to still qualify for hiring domestic helpers with the financial backing of their family members.

You are required to provide your domestic helper with accommodation that offers proper shelter, adequate ventilation, safety, and enough space for privacy.

You are required to provide your domestic helper with accommodation that offers proper shelter, adequate ventilation, safety, and enough space for privacy.

Yes, you’re allowed to do so, but it’s essential to obtain approval beforehand. If leaving your helper with a friend or relative, ensure they can provide proper care without assigning additional work. Submit an online request at least 7 working days before your trip, detailing the person’s name, address, relationship, as well as the EA or dormitory operator’s name, duration, and stay dates.

Yes, it’s allowed, but you need to inform MOM and get your helper’s written agreement before your helper can care for your child or parent at the relative’s house. Also, ensure your helper isn’t burdened with all the housework in both households.

To hire a second domestic helper, the employer or their spouse must be 60 years old or above, or they must have at least two children under 18 living with them. Another criterion is having a parent or parent-in-law over 60 residing at the same address. The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will also assess the employer’s financial capability to support and provide suitable accommodation for additional helpers.

Yes, it’s possible to hire directly from an overseas agent, but it carries significant risks. You may not be familiar with these agents, and they might request fees like loans or deposits before the helper arrives, which aren’t protected if the helper doesn’t come to Singapore. Engaging a licensed agency in Singapore is safer since they have established relationships with overseas agents and provide signed agreements with agreed terms, ensuring employer protection. Hiring through an agency also offers peace of mind, as they offer assistance before and after deployment if issues arise.

Certainly, our agency can facilitate this process before the domestic helper joins your household. It’s essential to inform us in advance of the need for a bank account before we issue the work permit. Alternatively, employers can apply for the account online themselves if necessary.

It is not allowed. Starting from January 1, 2023, MOM requires all employers to ensure their domestic helpers receive at least one mandatory rest day per month, which cannot be replaced with compensation for work, regardless of the helper’s willingness.

No, deductions from a helper’s salary as a penalty for performance issues or damaged household equipment are prohibited by law.

No, employers are not allowed to withhold their domestic helper’s salary or any portion of her earnings, even if she requests it. Doing so is illegal and constitutes an offense.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo

Still Want To Know About Our Services?

Want a closer look at our services? Dive into our offerings and find out how we can enhance your daily life with our expertise.

Scroll to Top